Romulo Barbosa, Ethnomusicology

The Annual Meeting of the Society for Ethnomusicology is by far the most important conference in the field, and this year it will be held jointly with the American Musicological Society and the Society for Music Theory, so it should be an even bigger event. This will be my first time going to SEM in person (since Covid resulted in the last two conferences being virtual) and my first time presenting as well. I couldn’t be more excited. I’ve never been to New Orleans and am eager to immerse myself in a city with such a musically rich history. My paper at the conference will be precisely about the meanings that an atmosphere like that of New Orleans can convey: about the ‘vibes’ we feel in music and the construction of topological affects of presence in art, as theorized by some late phenomenologists. Above all, I hope my background in media and philosophy can contribute to a more interdisciplinary debate on musical aesthetics and widen, even if marginally, the scope of what can be presented at a conference like this.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by WooThemes