365 Fifth Avenue
A significant new concert venue located in the 34th Street–Murray Hill area at 365 Fifth Avenue, the Baisley Powell Elebash Recital Hall forms part of the Graduate Center of the City University of New York’s cultural and conference complex, which also includes the Harold M. Proshansky Auditorium, the James Gallery, and the multipurpose Segal Theatre.
Designed for the acoustical needs of music and spoken-word presentations, Elebash Recital Hall has 180 comfortable, fixed seats that look onto a beautiful wood-paneled “thrust” stage.
The hall houses concert series including Live@365, a series of world music concerts, and serves as a recital show place for faculty and students in the Graduate Center’s top-ranked Ph.D./D.M.A. program in music.
The hall is named in honor of Baisley Powell Elebash in recognition of a gift from the Baisley Powell Elebash Fund. Baisley Powell Elebash was a native New Yorker and WWI Navy veteran. He retired from the securities business in the 1930s, then devoted his time to developing oil properties until his death in 1953 at the age of 55. His widow, Marjean Hoyt Elebash, died in 1996. The endowed Baisley Powell Elebash Fund was established in their memory in 1998 and supports fellowships for doctoral students in music at the Graduate Center as well as programming in the recital hall.
- Music in Midtown: Chamber Music on Fifth Part II - 28 Sep 2017 - 13:00
- Music in Midtown: Conversations in Counterpoint - 12 Oct 2017 - 13:00
- Music in Midtown: Commemorations and Dedications - 26 Oct 2017 - 13:00
- Music in Midtown: Music from Poland and Scotland - 9 Nov 2017 - 13:00
- Music in Midtown: Surprise Special Event! - 7 Dec 2017 - 13:00